Glivec 400 mg Tablets
Glivec is a medicine that contains the active substance- Imatinib. This medicine works to treat and prevent patients by inhibiting the growth of the abnormal cells which may cause cancer within the body, some types of cancer this medication treats are mentioned below:
• Blood cells
• Bone Marrow
Indication for use of Glivec 400 mg:
Buy Glivec tablets that are indicated for the treatment of
• Adult and Paediatric Patients that have been recently diagnosed with Philadelphia chromosome (bcr-abl) positive (Ph+) CML (Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia) for the ones who are not suggested to get the bone marrow transplantation as the first line of treatment.
• Adult and Paediatric patients with Ph+ CML in the chronic stage after the failure of the interferon- alpha therapy or the patients in the accelerated phase or the blast crisis.
• Adult and Paediatric patients that have been recently diagnosed with Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (Ph+ ALL) integrated with chemotherapy treatment.
• Adult patients having relapsed or refractory (Ph+ ALL) as a mono-therapy.
• Adult patients having myelodysplastic/ myeloproliferative (MDS/ MPD) diseases associated with a platelet- derived growth factor receptor (PDGFR) gene re- arrangements.
• Adult patients diagnosed with advanced hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and/ or with chronic eosinophilic leukaemia (CEL) with FIP1L1-PDGFRα re- arrangement.
The effect produced on the outcome of bone marrow transplantation by Glivec has not yet been determined.
Glivec is also indicated for the following:
• The treatment of adult patients having Kit (CD 117) positive unresectable and/ or metastatic malignant GIST (gastrointestinal stromal tumours).
• The adjuvant treatment of the adult patients who are at a significant risk of getting a relapse following the resection of Kit (CD117) - positive GIST (gastrointestinal stromal tumours). Patients who have a low or an extremely low risk of recurrence should not be receiving adjuvant treatment.
• The treatment of adult patients with unresectable DFSP (dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans) and adult patients with recurrent and/ or metastatic DFSP who are not eligible for taking up surgery.
Amongst adult and paediatric patients, the effectiveness of Glivec tablets is based on the overall haematological and cytogenetic response rates and the progression-free survival in CML, on haematological and cytogenetic response rates in Ph+ ALL, MDS/ MPD, on haematological response rates in HES/ CEL and on the objective response rates amongst adult patients with unresectable and/ or metastatic GIST and DFSP and also on recurrence-free survival in the adjuvant GIST. The experience in patients with Glivec having MDS/ MPD associated with PDGFR gene re-arrangements is very limited. Except amongst newly diagnosed chronic phase CML, there are no controlled trials demonstrating the clinical benefit or increased survival for these diseases.
You can buy Glivec 400 mg online from Emedkit that provides genuine medicines with direct shipment from the manufacturer. They have obtained contracts directly on the manufacturer’s website for countries like USA, Peru, Romania, China and Russia or in the country of its production.
Note: Glivec 400 mg Tablets are only available with a prescription.
Composition of Glivec 400 mg:
The active substance in Glivec is the salt imatinib mesilate. Each tablet of Glivec contains 400 mg of imatinib (as mesilate).
The other ingredients present in Glivec tablets are microcrystalline cellulose, crospovidone, hypromellose, magnesium stearate and anhydrous colloidal silica.
The coating of the tablet is made of red iron oxide (E172), yellow iron oxide (E172), macrogol, talc and hypromellose.
Uses of Glivec Tablets:
The Glivec tablets are used in case of the following conditions:
• Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
These medicines are used for the treatment of a particular type of blood cancer where the bone marrow produces excessive quantities of white blood cells for a relatively prolonged period of time.
• Acute lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Imatinib Mesilate is used for treating a specific type of blood cancer in which the bone marrow produces cancerous and immature lymphoblasts in large quantities. This condition also inhibits in the growth and maturity of the normal blood cells.
• Myeloproliferative disorder
Myeloproliferative disorder is a group of conditions which causes the red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets to grow abnormally in the bone marrow, which is treated by this medication.
• Myelodysplastic disease
This medication is used for treatmenting a group of conditions in which the newly formed blood cells in the bone marrow experience a failure to mature, resulting in ineffective blood cell production.
• Systemic mastocytosis
The Glivec tablets are used for the treatment of a condition (Systemic mastocytosis) where the mast cells increase abnormally in multiple organs including the bone marrow. This as a result leads to excessive production of mediators like the histamine in the body which can result in symptoms that are similar to an allergic reaction.
• Hypereosinophillic syndrome
This medication is used for treating a condition that is characterized by persistently elevated levels of eosinophil cells within the blood without any recognizable cause.
• Chronic eosinophillic leukemia
Imatinib Mesilate is used for managing a condition where the levels of eosinophils are significantly higher in the bone marrow and the blood for a relatively prolonged duration of time.
• Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
The Glivec tablets are used for the treating a very rare type of cancer of the skin.
• Gastrointestinal stromal tumour
This medication is used for treating tumours that start in the walls lining of the stomach and the intestine.
Contraindications of Glivec:
• Usage of alcohol:
There is no support of any interaction with alcohol. Although, it is advised to consult your doctor before you consume alcohol while on this medication.
No addictive tendencies have been reported.
• Consumption of Glivec during pregnancy
Glivec is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless it is absolutely necessary and the potential benefits out- weighs the risks that are involved. Your doctor will help you to determine the best course of treatment after assessing your clinical condition.
• Breast- feeding
Imatinib Mesilate is not recommended to be used during breastfeeding unless it is absolutely necessary. Your doctor must perform certain tests and assess your condition which will help them to advise you to discontinue breastfeeding or to discontinue the drug depending on your clinical condition.
Instructions for the Use of Glivec 400 mg:
Glivec is usually prescribed to patients who suffer from a serious condition that can be used to treat the disease. Although, it is always suggested to take this medication exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has prescribed. It is also important to keep the duration for as long as your doctor or pharmacist prescribes you.
Do not stop consuming Glivec unless you are directed so by your doctor. If you find it difficult to take your medication as prescribed by the doctor or if you feel that there is no need to take the medicine anymore, contact your doctor before leaving the medicine.
How much Glivec should you be taking?
Usage in Adults
(Although your doctor will specify exactly how many tablets you need to take depending on your condition, but here is a general estimation depending on some common conditions)
• If you are being treated for CML
Depending on your condition, the usually prescribed starting dose can be either 400 mg or 600 mg:
- The 400 mg dose needs to be consumed as one tablet once a day,
- The 600 mg dose needs to be consumed as- one tablet of 400 mg plus 2 more tablets of 100 mg once a day.
• If you are being treated for GIST
The starting dose for GIST is 400 mg that has to be taken as- one tablet once a day.
For CML and GIST- your doctor may prescribe a higher/ lower dose depending on how your body responds to the treatment. If you are prescribed a daily dose of 800 mg (2 tablets), you must take one tablet in the morning and a second tablet in the evening.
• If you are being treated for Ph-positive ALL
The starting dose for Ph-positive ALL is 600 mg that has to be taken as- one tablet of 400 mg with 2 tablets of 100 mg once a day.
• If you are being treated for MDS/ MPD
The starting for MDS/ MPD dose is 400 mg that has to be taken as- one tablet once a day.
• If you are being treated for HES/ CEL
The starting dose for HES/ CEL is 100 mg that needs to be consumed as- one tablet of 100 mg once a day. Depending on your body’s response, your doctor may decide to increase the dose to 400 mg which needs to be taken as one tablet of 400 mg once a day.
• If you are being treated for DFSP:
The recommended dose for DFSP is 800 mg per day (in the form of 2 tablets) that need to be taken as one tablet in the morning and the second tablet in the evening.
Usage in Children and Adolescents
The doctor will inform you how many tablets of Glivec can be given to your child. The amount of Glivec given will depend on the condition of your child, their body weight and height. The total daily dose in children should not exceed 800 mg with CML and 600 mg with Ph+ ALL. The treatment can either given in the form of one dose once daily to your child or alternatively the daily dose can be split into two parts- half in the morning and half in the evening.
When and how to consume Glivec?
• Glivec must be consumed with a meal. This prevents Glivec from leading to stomach problems.
• Swallow the tablets whole with a large glass of water and do not crush it.
The major and minor side effects for Glivec 400 mg tablets are:
• Mouth sores
• Loss of appetite
• Altered sense of taste
• Heartburn and indigestion
• Joint pain
• Burning or tingling sensation in the skin
• Difficulty in falling or staying asleep
• Skin rash
• Hives or itching
• Hair loss/ thinning of the hair
• Severe Swelling around the eyes
• Severe Swelling of the hands, feet, ankle, and lower legs
• Severe breathing difficulties
• Fast or irregular heart beat
• Severe yet rare presence of blood in cough
• Yellowing of skin and eyes
• Unusual bleeding or bruising
• Abdominal pain/ bloating
• Severe yet rare chance of Bloody stool
Warnings and precautions
Consult your doctor before taking Glivec tablets:
• If you presently have or have ever had a liver, kidney or heart issue.
• If you are consuming the medicine levothyroxine due to removal of your thyroid gland.
• If you have ever contracted or might have a hepatitis B infection now. This is due the fact that Glivec could cause hepatitis B to become active again, which can have fatal results in some cases. Patients shall be carefully checked by their doctors for any signs of this infection before the treatment is started.
Note: If any of these conditions apply to you, make sure to inform your doctor before taking Glivec. There is a possibility of you becoming more sensitive to the sun while taking Glivec. Thus, it is important to cover sun- exposed areas of skin with the use of sunscreen having a high sun protection factor (SPF). Similar precautions are also applicable for children using this medication.
This is custom tab. You can add custom tab as an attribute for entire products, or for each categories. You can add CMS content such as sizing guide or videos to enhance product detail.